Thursday, August 16, 2012

Learning to Balance - or Not

      So life with a new born and a toddler has already proved a challenge. This morning I decided to do something about it. I wanted to put together a quiet book and some quiet activities for Santi to do while I nurse the baby. So we headed off to Hobby Lobby for some supplies. I got several items for creating a quiet book (felt, snaps, wiggly eyes, etc.), and then I got some supplies for quick quiet activities.
Later on when both kids were asleep I skipped my nap time to prepare these things for Santi. When he woke up I started right in with the fun.

     First, we started with the dinosaurs that were suppose to grow to six times their size in water. We filled up a huge empty container with water and dropped the dinosaurs in then we waited…..and waited….and waited…..OK so I waited, Santiago splashed in the water and made a large mess in my kitchen. I guess I missed the small print that said "Could take up to ten days to reach full size." Now ten hours later they are still the exact same size.

     Next, we used an old yogurt container and cut holes in the top for santiago to put pom-poms through. I left him while I went to change Lily's diaper. 5.4 seconds later he was right under my feet showing me the six pom-poms he had put in. After that he was no longer interested in the game.

     Then we tried one last activity. I cut up some pipe cleaners I had bought and put them in a plastic container. I showed him how he could use the magnet to pull the pipe cleaners up against the side. He was only interested in emptying out the pipe cleaners.

Grrr. In short…..
Growing Dinosaurs $1.19,
 Pom-Poms $2.47,
Pipe Cleaners $.99,
5.4 seconds of an active toddler being quiet…..Worthless.

Tomorrow I think we will just turn on Dora.

No comments:

Post a Comment