There are several "talks" we have with our significant other. You know the type….the "what is this relationship we have" talk, the "marriage" talk, the "are we going to have kids and how many," "is mama working or staying home," "how does the toilet paper go on the roll," "how do we squeeze the toothpaste," and "where the the toilet seat goes when we are done peeing" talks. I feel so blessed that Gerardo and I skipped most of these talks, everything just came so naturally and easily, for us. It has been a beautiful seven years of marriage.
The "talk" we had last night was something like…now that we have gotten married, had two children, are expert toothpaste squeezers, and I am staying home…we need to figure out how to pay for it.
So we cut out a few expenses…downsized the gardener, cancelled our delivered fruit and veggie basket, meatless Mondays AND Thursdays, homemade bread, combine errands to save on gas, electronic instead of delivered newspaper, and a few others I can't think of right now. Anyway after a talk like this we start to feel a little deprived. "What?! I have to go to the market to get my fruits and veggies? Such a deprived life I live." :)
Luckily for me just previously that morning I had met a nice woman named Dorinda. Dorinda is homeless, and she is regardless, a happy woman. She was so grateful for what she had. She told me she had not collected as many recyclables as some of her friends but she was so grateful for what she had collected. She was grateful for the local soup kitchen that was offering lunch that day, and she was grateful that her children were grown and going to school and working.
I thought to myself there will always be people who have more or less than me. The point is not to look around but to be so grateful for what I have and the blessings in my life. I AM! I love my life, I love my family, I am so JOYFUL for what I have now!
So this is not a major revelation or anything even new, but it is something I forget all too often. I wanted to write this experience down to remind me to always be grateful, "Because I have Been Given Much."
No comments:
Post a Comment