It has taken me some time to feel up to writing about this experience.
Even writing about it now is really hard.
Please make sure all your medicines are locked up when small children are in the house.
I know this, I have heard it a thousand times, but one day they were not.
We had some family come into town who brought medication in a little weekly case. It was up high, but not high enough. Santiago was found playing with the medicine. After we found out how many pills were missing I called poison control. I read off the first medication, and they told me to take Santiago and the pill bottles immediately to the emergency room. Gerardo met us up there. It turns out one of the medications was a heart medication and can take a child's life. When we got to the emergency room they took us back immediately. I had to get him to drink a large glass of charcoal, hold him down while they put an IV in, then wrapped it with a huge cast so he wouldn't mess with it. While we were doing this we found out that the pills he played with at home, had been trailed all the way through the kitchen. We were afraid that Lily could have taken the pills too so she was brought up to the emergency room with us. I had to hold her down while they put in the IV's and had to get her to drink charcoal too.
We were trying to cheer Santi up so we put this rubber glove on him....
look closely I think this is how he felt about the whole thing.
It was then decided that both children needed to be at the closest children's hospital to be monitored for 24 hours. They had to take an ambulance up there. We were suppose to all get in one ambulance, but at the last minute they changed their mind.
My sister came up to ride with Santi while I rode with Lily in the other one.
Gerardo went home to get some overnight things and the van.
It was a very long ride (the nearest children's hospital is about an hour away).
This is where my little Santiago first fell in love with the show Paw Patrol.
They both had to have heart monitors all the time. They put on a set when we got to the emergency room, another in the ambulance, and another at the children's hospital.
They were a bit happier after their IV's were taken out and they got to eat.
They never had any complications so the doctors could say with some certainty that they probably did not take any medicine. I am so sad they had to go through all of that but we had to be sure.
The children's hospital was amazing. Everyone was wonderful. There were so many things there to help a family feel at home even in awful circumstances. We are so blessed to have one so close by.
We are also blessed to still have our babies with us. We love them so very much.
This was a heart wrenching experience and it only lasted for 24 hours.
I thank God everyday for blessing us with these little spirits in our home.
I know He watched over and protected them that day and everyday.
They truly make our life better.
This was a heart wrenching experience and it only lasted for 24 hours.
I thank God everyday for blessing us with these little spirits in our home.
I know He watched over and protected them that day and everyday.
They truly make our life better.






No comments:
Post a Comment