This weekend we went to Visalia's Christmas Extravaganza. It is a really fun Family Christmas activity for December. It was all free and they did a really great job putting it all together.
First Santiago stopped at the pole to make a plan....
...then he headed off to Santa's workshop
(a little room you can look in that has unfinished toys and paints and such to look like a workshop)...
...he tried the door, but only elves were allowed...
...so he settled for peeking in the window...
...then he headed off to meet the snow people.
He was asking if he could take home all the presents...
...but luckily he got distracted...
...he loves lights of any kind!
A few minutes later Santa Claus jumped from a plane and parachuted in.
Santiago could not believe it either!
My favorite part was too precious to capture with a camera. In a small corner of the lot was a small barn with two real animals. In the loft was an angel with Christmas music playing. On the ground floor there was a wise man. In the corner Joseph and Mary sat huddled next to a small manger with a doll wrapped up in a wooden manger.
I love Christmas, I really do. I love shopping, I love fun music, and I love the magic.
BUT...
I think sometimes we forget that we are celebrating the birth of the Savior and that His circumstances were extremely humble much like this simple live nativity. I took Santiago out of his stroller and whispered to him the story of Christ's birth as I pointed out all of the characters. The girl who played an angel even waved to get Santi's attention so I could tell him about the Heavenly hosts that sang at Christ's birth. I do not get many moments when my active 13 month old toddler holds still so I was really pleased when he leaned his head against me and listened to me tell him the story.




No comments:
Post a Comment