So my husband and I have celebrated five Christmases without a mobile child. I have grown accustomed to many things during that time. One of these things was enjoying my Christmas tree every year.
We usually splurged and bought the expensive tree soon after Thanksgiving. Every year I got more decorations. I have never put any mismatched ornaments on my tree. I would trim any branches off that looked out of place or stuck out too far. I even got wire and tied up the bottom branches so they did not hang too low. It was a beautiful glow in Silver and Red, and I may have admired it a few too many times.
Then along comes life... This year we finally got a tree about mid-month. It was a cheap one from the grocery store. About two days later I finally had time to decorate it. Santiago was asleep and I practically threw all my decorations on the tree. I haphazardly crimped my ribbon and left it at that, thinking I could work on it a little each day.
The next day and everyday since Santiago has enjoyed taking off all my ornaments, popping the tops off of them and then running away when I see him. His next trick was to grab the end of the ribbon, drape it over his shoulder, and start running. I had actually wired the ribbons to the top of the tree, so he does not get too far. Although this often resulted in the tree leaning a bit too far for my comfort.
While I was actually writing this post he decided to grab out a string of lights and stick them in his mouth. I think either the tree or I will last until Christmas....but not both.



No comments:
Post a Comment