1) Cook rice however your family enjoys it (we like brown rice in the rice cooker...but last night I did it on the stove to save time.)
2) 4 cups of water to every one cup of lentils bring to a hard boil then let it boil slowly for 30-45 minutes, and season. (I seasoned it all during the boiling as I thought of more things to add)
I used garlic (minced from the fridge), onion powder (I think fresh onion or dried onion would have been better, pepper, salt (I used a lot), bacon (a few pinches of cooked bacon pieces from Costco), and crushed red pepper.
3) Drain beans put over rice and enjoy!
Anyone who knows my hubby, knows he is a carnivore. If a meal does not have meat it is just a snack. When I started to make dinner he asked what we were having I told him lentils and rice. He laughed and started talking about different places we could go to eat. He mentioned a few places and I told him we were eating lentils and rice at home. After about the third time of me telling him we were eating lentils and rice, he asked what we were going to have with it. I told him nothing...we were having lentils and rice. He said "I wonder if Chipotle sells their meat separately."
A few minutes later he proceeded to find a coupon to a fast food place we could eat at, I told him we were eating lentils and rice at home. Then he asked me if I thought his mom still had tamales at her house from Christmas. I laughed and told him we were eating lentils and rice at home he again asked "With what?"
After about the seventh or eighth time of me telling him we were eating lentils and rice at home he said "Are you serious?" We both laughed and I told him we were in fact eating lentils and rice by themselves at home.
We finally came to the agreement that if he would try my lentils and beans and he either did not like them, or they did not fill him up we would go out. By this time I was getting a little nervous about my lentils and rice too. I dished out about a quarter cup rice and a quarter cup of beans on each of our plates and we sat down to eat.
Gerardo asked me to say the prayer with funny smile. I agreed but barely got through it, because I knew what he was thinking when I thanked God for our food. Then we took our first bites. I gave Santi some and he liked it so I sat him up in his chair and he ate a ton of it. Gerardo and I continued to laugh while we ate, he teasing me about having just lentils and rice for dinner...and me teasing him about being spoiled and not needing meat for every meal. I was still worried that he may not like them, but as soon as he finished he went back and got a much larger plate of seconds! Santi and I really enjoyed them too. Next time I may have to put out some tortillas, sour cream, and cheese, to keep my man happy, but it is a meal I would like to do again!

No comments:
Post a Comment