I found out my talents do not extend to plumbing. What started out as a small leak between the tank and bowl has ended up as two trips to the hard ware store, two bathroom floods, $11, and a toilet that is still broken.
We had a small leak coming from our toilet, so I watched several videos on YouTube. It seemed simple enough to fix. I took apart the toilet within a few minutes, then Santiago and I went to the first hardware store to pick up our supplies.
I had brought the old gasket (don't I sound smart) with me to get a new one. After searching I asked for help. A man gave me a piece that did not look like mine and told me they conform to the toilet so eventually it would look like the one I had. That cost me $3.
We took it home and put the toilet back together. I say we because Santiago needed to hold a wrench since I had one. He was pretty darn cute tapping on everything with his wrench. Then I made a huge mistake; instead of filling the tank a quarter of the way up, I filled up the whole thing……then flushed! The whole tank of water came pouring out onto my floor.
After cleaning up, more research, a new hardware store, and $8, I tried it again. This time after finishing I only filled up the tank a little bit above the flap valve. I tried flushing again. Now it was leaking out of a new place (*&^%$) and the tank is wobbly.
After 24 hours it did not seem to be leaking…so I made my second huge mistake and filled it up again and went to bed. This morning I found a whole tank worth of water on the floor again.
I think a visalia plumber will be getting a job soon.

No comments:
Post a Comment