Quick story about carrots while I am on the subject…
My aunt lived next door to us growing up. She was a expert gardener. I remember shelling peas and eating them, picking fruit off her tree, and watching things grow over the summer. One day some carrots were ready to be pulled. I was sent to the garden to get some. I had pulled up several carrots in one spot before I realized that my legs were prickling. What I did not know then, was that under ground vegetables can be the home to colonies of ants! When you destroy their home they tend to want to destroy you. I had ants all up and down my legs. It was awful! Luckily they were just black ants and more pesky then hurtful or dangerous. My Aunt laughing told me a story about when she learned that exact same lesson. She had disturbed a colony of red ants and had to strip off her bloomers right there in the field.
So onto the recipe since you have all been waiting….
a Vazquez Family Favorite
Ham Fried Rice
*3-4 TLBS of oil
*Diced Ham (I use a 1/2 steak from Costco)
*Cooked Rice (2-4 cups)
*Steamed Veggies - carrots shredded and celery diced (as many as you want)
*Frozen Peas
*Eggs (crack and stir)(3-5) depending on amount of rice
*Green Onions (optional)
Seasonings:
Garlic powder
ginger (I use a lot)
pepper
soy sauce (just a few dashes)
sesame seed
Heat up oil in a large pot on med/hi. Throw ham in and cook through browning some edges. Add seasonings of choice. Put in steamed veggies, peas, and onions stir until they are covered in the oil and seasonings. Then add rice and top with raw eggs. Turn down the heat. Turn rice over gently for the next few minutes until egg is cooked through.
*Turning down the heat, turning rice gently, and not overcooking makes the difference between mushy rice and good rice.
Good Luck!

No comments:
Post a Comment